Writer's Note: This is one of a series of 10 articles on the Clifton Youth StrengthsExplorer themes. For more info on StrengthsExplorer, click here.
“Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” – Steve Jobs, Co-Founder, Chairman and CEO of Apple Inc.
Students with Confidence in their Top 3 StrengthsExplorer results believe in themselves and their abilities to be successful in the challenges they take on. Knowing that they are unique and special in this world empowers them to be themselves and not follow the crowd. Like a stallion – a powerful, brave horse with a certain charisma – those with the Confidence StrengthsExplorer theme are courageous, self-aware, and in control, enabling them to take a stand and share their opinions even if no one else will.
Those with the Confidence Strengths Explorer theme are certain in their uniqueness. This gives them the ability to be sure of their own opinions and stand up for themselves and others. They feel most energized by their strong assurance of their own abilities and self-worth, which enables them to do things that others may not want to try, thus helping them experience more in life. While the Confidence StrengthsExplorer theme can sometimes be misunderstood as a “stubborn” or “arrogant,” particularly when this theme is in its infancy, at its maturity the Confidence talent theme leads formidably with humility, determination, a strong sense of respect for others, and much courage.
While the Presence StrengthsExplorer theme is externally motivated by an audience and talented in commanding the attention of the crowd, the Confidence StrengthsExplorer theme is internally motivated by their beliefs and knows their uniqueness even in the midst of a crowd. And while the Organizer talent theme feels most in control when they can say, “I’ve structured and planned everything out so things can go smoothly,” the Confidence talent theme feels most in control when they can say, “I know I can tackle anything that I take on, even when things don’t go smoothly.”
What does the Confidence talent theme look like?
“In primary school, my teacher nominated me as a school prefect as she saw leadership qualities in me. I was delighted, and for the next two years I set out to go above and beyond in my duties as a prefect. At the end of my second year, there was an Appreciation Day for the prefects. I thought since I’d done far more than what was asked of me, the school would recognize my efforts and award me accordingly…but I ended up being disappointed. It took me a while to process the feelings, but eventually I felt that even if my efforts went unrecognized, I still believed in my ability to lead well. When I graduated to secondary school, I was nominated as a prefect again. I continued to do what I felt I was good at, and eventually, it paid off – I was elected the Head Prefect. I think everyone has something to offer the world, and there will be moments when the world does not seem to agree. But it’s in how you respond to these occasions that makes all the difference.” – J. M.
As a teacher, how do I develop a student with Confidence?
- Pay attention to the various accomplishments this student has had and affirm him or her for them. Strike up conversations about his or her motivations in tackling these challenges. Is there a pattern to these accomplishments? How could you identify more things that this student might enjoy? Create opportunities to set this person up for more successes.
- Help this student clarify what he or she wants to achieve and the best way to go about doing so. Students with the Confidence StrengthsExplorer theme are bold and determined, but this can lead them into either positive or difficult circumstances at times.
- Be prepared to offer encouragement and practical support when necessary. While the Confidence talent theme provides the student with a natural resilience that helps him or her move past disappointments and overcome obstacles, this does not mean that he or she does not need your guidance and encouragement at all. Appreciate the student for his or her ability to navigate situations that many of his or her peers would not feel confident enough to deal with.
As a student with Confidence, how do I grow it to maturity?
- Dream big. Because of your Confidence talent theme, you like to think big and try things that many of your peers would not dare to try. You can help to model for your peers what it means to be brave and pursue what you love, and you can help to build up their confidence in themselves as well.
- Consider taking on a more active role in your school or community. Is there a club, an activity, or a group you might be interested in joining? Use your Confidence talent theme to try new things or take on new responsibilities.
- Keep a record of the various beliefs, habits, circumstances, or even relationships that have contributed to your successes. Your Confidence talent theme will often lead you to take on challenges and choose paths that others might not choose. Sometimes these paths are successful, but other times they may end in disappointment. Keeping a record of the various testimonies of victory in your life can help to re-center you in times of disappointment and enable you to overcome those feelings.
Concluding Thoughts: Those with the Confidence StrengthsExplorer theme can be described as pioneers and trendsetters, because they know what they have to offer the world and are free to forge their own paths instead of following the crowd. When combined with self-awareness, humility, and wise counsel, individuals with the Confidence talent theme can be a powerful force of courage and inspiration for themselves and those around them.
Written by Tan Meiling
As a Gallup Certified Strengths Coach, Meiling is passionate about helping people discover their innate potential and celebrating who they are. She enjoys reading, learning, and sharing her knowledge through writing articles. Meiling is also actively giving StrengthsFinder coaching to individuals and facilitating workshops in Singapore.